Thriller movies are a staple in the world of cinema, captivating audiences with their suspenseful plots and unexpected turns. However, what sets a great thriller movie apart from a good one is its ability to deliver a twist ending that leaves viewers stunned. The following are some of the best twist endings in thriller movies that have delivered on this promise.
1. The Sixth Sense (1999) – Directed by M. Night Shyamalan, this film follows a child psychologist (played by Bruce Willis) who tries to help a young boy who claims to see dead people. The film’s twist ending revealed that the psychologist was himself dead and that all of his interactions with the boy were actually with a ghost.
2. Gone Girl (2014) – Adapted from the best-selling novel by Gillian Flynn, this movie tells the story of a woman’s disappearance and the subsequent investigation and media frenzy that ensues. However, the twist ending reveals that the woman (played by Rosamund Pike) actually staged her own disappearance to frame her husband (played by Ben Affleck) for murder.
3. Shutter Island (2010) – Directed by Martin Scorsese, this film follows two U.S. Marshals (played by Leonardo DiCaprio and Mark Ruffalo) who investigate the disappearance of a patient from a remote psychiatric facility. The twist ending reveals that DiCaprio’s character is actually a patient himself and that the entire investigation was a delusion created by the facility’s staff to treat him.
4. The Usual Suspects (1995) – This film tells the story of a group of criminals who are brought together for a heist that goes wrong. Through a series of flashbacks, the audience learns that one of the criminals, “Verbal” Kint (played by Kevin Spacey), is actually the mastermind behind the heist and that he fabricated the entire story he told to the police.
5. Psycho (1960) – Directed by Alfred Hitchcock, this film follows a woman who steals money from her employer and checks into a remote motel run by a disturbed young man (played by Anthony Perkins). The twist ending reveals that the motel owner has been dressing up as his mother and committing the murders that the audience believed were being committed by her.
6. The Prestige (2006) – Directed by Christopher Nolan, this film tells the story of two rival stage magicians (played by Christian Bale and Hugh Jackman) who compete to create the ultimate illusion. The twist ending reveals that Bale’s character has been using a secret twin to help him pull off his illusions and that he has been living as both brothers.
7. Memento (2000) – Directed by Christopher Nolan, this film follows a man (played by Guy Pearce) who suffers from short-term memory loss and is searching for his wife’s killer. The film’s twist ending reveals that the man’s memory loss was actually self-inflicted to protect himself from the guilt of killing his wife.
In conclusion, the best twist endings in thriller movies have the power to leave audiences stunned and questioning everything they thought they knew about the story. Whether it’s a revelation about a character’s true identity, a shocking reversal of events, or a masterful plot deception, these movies leave a lasting impression and are remembered long after the credits roll.