The Hitman’s Bodyguard, released in 2017, was a wildly entertaining action-comedy movie that brought together the unlikely duo of a renowned hitman, played by Samuel L. Jackson, and a disgraced bodyguard, played by Ryan Reynolds. The film was a hit at the box office, raking in over $180 million worldwide, and has left fans eagerly waiting for a sequel. Fortunately, a sequel is indeed in the works, titled “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard,” and here’s what we know so far.
1. The Same Dynamic Duo: Just like the original film, “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard” will bring back Samuel L. Jackson as Darius Kincaid, the notorious hitman, and Ryan Reynolds as Michael Bryce, his reluctant protector. Fans can expect more of their hilarious banter, contrasting personalities, and chemistry that made the first film such a success.
2. A New Addition: Joining the cast as the titular “Hitman’s Wife” is Salma Hayek. She will play Sonia Kincaid, the wife of Samuel L. Jackson’s character, Darius. Hayek, known for her dynamic performances, is sure to bring her own brand of humor and action to the film, adding an exciting dynamic to the central trio.
3. Director and Writer Return: The original film was directed by Patrick Hughes, known for his work on “The Expendables 3,” and he will return to helm the sequel. Additionally, Tom O’Connor, who wrote the screenplay for the first movie, is also back on board, promising a continuation of the witty, high-octane storytelling that fans loved.
4. Plot: While specific plot details have been kept under wraps, we do know that the sequel will pick up where the first film left off. Michael Bryce is trying to rebuild his reputation as a bodyguard after the events of the previous film, but he gets dragged back into the action when Sonya Kincaid seeks his help in rescuing her husband, Darius, who has been kidnapped. This trio of unlikely heroes embarks on a daring mission across Europe, facing dangerous villains and hilarious situations along the way.
5. New and Familiar Faces: Alongside the returning leads, “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard” boasts an impressive supporting cast. Antonio Banderas and Morgan Freeman have joined the lineup, bringing their exceptional acting talents to the mix. Their roles in the film have not been disclosed yet, but their involvement raises anticipation for the caliber of performances audiences can expect.
6. Production and Release: The sequel started filming in March 2019, primarily in Croatia and Italy, before wrapping up in October of the same year. Initially scheduled for release in August 2020, the film was delayed due to the COVID-19 pandemic. However, it has finally been confirmed that “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard” will hit theaters in the United States on June 16, 2021.
With its star-studded cast, returning director, and the promise of more humorous action, “The Hitman’s Wife’s Bodyguard” seems poised to deliver all the fun and excitement fans enjoyed in the first film. As we anticipate its release, rest assured that this sequel will take audiences on another memorable, adrenaline-fueled adventure alongside these unforgettable characters.